Today I was walking with my daughter out to our car after picking her up from Pre-school. She was happily chatting about her day. I opened her car door and started getting her all strapped in when my cell phone rang. I looked at the number and didn’t recognize it right away and almost didn’t answer it. After all I was listening to my daughter and trying to get her in her car seat, but I knew the number sounded familiar so I answered it anyway and when I did my heart sank as soon as I heard the voice on the other end saying that she was calling from my sons’ school and that he has had an accident. My mouth went dry and my pulse quickened; as I listened to her explain to me what she knew about what had happened. The words that mostly stuck out in my mind were bleeding, swollen and nose. Oh my god, my poor baby! This is only the third week of school and he is in the clinic and is bleeding! Needless to say I jumped in my truck and took off and went straight to the school. Ok, I said to myself, calm down it is probably just one of his bloody noses and it is going to be fine. However the word swollen kept my heart racing. We arrived at the school just before the morning kindergarten let out so parking was a premium. I was lucky and was able to snag a space fairly close to the entrance. I jumped out of the truck and ran around to the other side and took my daughter out of her seat and locked the truck. I carried her and half jogged and walked to the door that led to the office. I looked through the window and saw no one. I opened the door and walked it and the attendant came out of a room and asks if she could help me. I then told her that I was here for my son and she took me straight to the room he was in. When I came through the door I saw my little baby boy sitting in a small little chair holding a cold sponge in a plastic zip loc bag up to his little nose. I was shocked to see that his shirt and shorts were covered in blood! Not a little blood, a lot of blood! I half expected his little nose to be gone from the amount of blood that was all over him. I bent down and gently said “Hi honey.” And he answered “Hi mommy” in the saddest little voice I ever heard. “How ya’ doing big guy?” “I hurt my nose.” “Can mommy see it?” He slowly pulled the bag away from his little face and I just wanted to cry. He looked like he had been run over with a truck he had road rash all on his little nose and face. He not only had blood coming from the inside of his little nose but also from the scrapes and such on his nose and his upper lip area under his nose. It was oozing out liquid and blood. I was a little shocked and said to the attendant there “Did he hit his head at all? Do you know?” She said that she wasn’t sure and that he was at gym class when it happened. I ask her if I could talk to the gym teacher. I then ask my son “Did you hit your head?” He shook his head no. I then looked at his front teeth and the inside of his mouth at his tongue to see if there was any damage there. Thank God there was nothing everything looks fine all the real damage looked like it was on his nose and upper lip area. I then ask him if anything else hurt elbows, knees, belly or hands. He said no to all of this. When his gym teacher arrived I ask her what happened and she really didn’t know. They were outside on the blacktop jumping with hoops and she looked away to answer a question and the next thing she knew the other kids were telling her my son was hurt. She said that he didn’t really cry. He just kinda whined a little when he noticed his nose was bleeding. I thought to myself “Yep that’s my boy, tough as nails that one.” I smiled as I looked in on him in the room he is so precious to me. I went back in the room and knelt down in front of him and ask him if he wanted to go back to class or if he wanted to go home. He smiled and said “I wanna go back to class!” He stood up from his chair and just as we were starting to go his little nose started to bleed again. I looked at him and he just knew what was coming next. Back in the chair he went and I grabbed the Kleenex and held it to his nose. I then ask the attendant how long his nose had been bleeding before I got there and she answered “About 10 to 15 minutes.” I then looked at the clock and check the time his nose had bled that time. Another five minutes, that’s not a good sign. I said to him that I was just going to take him home and we would call the doctor and see what they have to say about all of this. I ask him if he wanted to go with me to get his stuff from his class or if he wanted to stay there and I would come back and get him. Just as I said that another teacher came in with his backpack and said that he was all set. I checked his nose and had him stand up slowly this time and everything was fine so we left the school and walked out to the truck. On the way we saw his teacher outside with the other children and they were all asking him if he was ok. He told them all that “Yeah, I’m ok. I’ll be back tomorrow!” Gave them all a big wave and into the truck he went. I was surprised! He is such a strong little guy and so very brave! I love him to pieces and I hope he knows it!

P.S. Don't go by the date I forgot to change it once the camera was fixed, ops!
Update: His nose is fine. Nothing is broken and should be all healed in a couple of weeks. He suffered no concussion and should be fine to return to school tomorrow.


No comments:
Post a Comment